- Mineralised Methylated Spirits is used as a solvent for knotting solutions, spirit-based varnishes, some spirit-based paints and French Polish.
- It can also be used as a cleaner for paintwork, glassware and for wiping resinous matter from knots prior to applying Douglas Patent Knotting.
- It is sometimes used as a fuel for heating/cooking.
- It is a denatured spirit which gives a clean flame.
- It is mixed with a small quantity of Methanol to make it unfit for human consumption and dyed purple.